People may find snoring as a joke or something to feel embarrassed. But, snoring loudly followed with daytime fatigues can be a symptom of sleep apnea. This is a common disorder found in people in which their breathing is repeatedly stopped and started during sleeping. This disorder can make you feel tired during the day as well as affect your mood and health. Through sleep apnea treatment you can overcome the embarrassment and get a sound sleep.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a common and a serious type of disorder experienced while sleeping in which your breathing is briefly obstructed. In this sleep disorder, your breathing stops repeatedly during the night. You don't feel energetic or productive during your daytime as you should. Types of sleep apnea are:
Obstructive sleep apnea
- One of the most common types of sleep apnea that occurs when the soft muscles of your throat relax, blocking the airway.
Central sleep apnea
- This is a less common type of sleep apnea in which the brain is unable to send proper signals to muscles that control breathing.
Complex sleep apnea
- This type of sleep apnea is the combination of the above two types.
Symptoms and causes of sleep apnea
- Symptoms of sleep apnea are insomnia, night sweats, feeling exhausted during the day, restless sleeping, loud snoring and difficulty in breathing during sleep. Causes of sleep apnea are excessive fat buildup, loss of muscles, especially during old age.
Sleep apnea treatment
- Through advancements on technology, you can have various options for sleep apnea treatment such as Continuous positive airflow pressure(CPAP), a machine that helps you in breathing properly while sleeping. You have other options such as breathing devices, dental objects or getting implants or surgery. You can also follow some self-help treatment options to reduce the symptoms of sleep apnea as recommended by your sleep apnea dentist.At Smiles For Life Dental, we can provide you with efficient sleep apnea dentists, who can treat your disorder well and help you achieve a sound sleep.