The third molars, commonly referred to as the wisdom teeth, are typically the last teeth to erupt in the mouth. Because they are the last teeth to come in, there is often not enough room in the mouth for them to properly erupt. If the wisdom teeth cannot erupt properly, they may cause several serious dental problems, such as:
- The wisdom teeth becoming impacted (stuck in the gums and jawbone, unable to erupt)
- Damage to neighboring teeth
- A cyst developing around the wisdom tooth
- Damage to the surrounding bone
- The wisdom teeth growing in at an angle
Our skilled dentist, Dr. Goel, recommends that you have your wisdom teeth extracted (removed) before any of these dental problems occur. We invite you to visit us at Smiles for Life Dental Group; Dr. Goel and our dental team will carefully evaluate your smile to determine whether your wisdom teeth need to be extracted. To learn more and to schedule your consultation, please call our Santa Clara, California dental office soon.